Saturday, October 9, 2010

Local Post: Volunteer Work!

Before today, I've never done any volunteer work. When I was growing up, I just wasn't the community-helper extracurricular type. I played Dungeons & Dragons or Magic: The Gathering instead. Well a bunch of people I knew were doing this a volunteer gig today.

Travel Town Museum & Park

From Random Apple-a-Day


I had actually never even heard of this place before this week. My wife thought it was an old storage yard. Turns out it's a cool little park with some historic trains! Their mission is to inform people about the history of the railroad, mainly its influence on the Southwest United States and the Los Angeles area in particular.

About 15 of us worked with some more official workers and went about cleaning up trains because next week they're having an open house. You can find out more information about the place here, and if you live in the Los Angeles area come check the place out on the 17th for their open house and see some of the restoration work that's been started. It's in Griffith park, just 5 minutes down the road from the LA Zoo!

Anyway, back to the original topic. I really enjoyed doing some volunteer work. I got to meet some cool people that do stuff I never even imagined needed doing - all to help out the community. What sort of volunteer work (have you done|do every once in a while)?

-- The only constant is change --

No comments:

Post a Comment